The first airport in Ithaca, also believed to be the second airport in New York State, was the Ithaca Municipal Airport, located near the inlet to Cayuga Lake, in an area that Cass Park now occupies. The Hangar Theatre made its home in the renovated municipal airport hangar right next to Cass Park.
Cecil Robinson began conducting aerial photography mapping for the government out of Ithaca Municipal Airport. His two four-place monoplanes became the cornerstone of Robinson Airlines at the end of the second World War. Shortly thereafter, Robinson Airlines was growing and their operation was moved to the new East Hill Airport, opened by Cornell University in 1948. Robinson Airlines became Mohawk Airlines in 1952.